I’m sure that in the midst of New Year’s resolutions and health goals you have seen the word ‘Detox’ in many places and attached to many challenges. While doing a (proper) detox is probably the best thing for your health you could do, there are daily habits you can form to assist your body’s natural detoxing process boosting toxin removal and helping avoid more build-up of toxins.
There are 5 tell-tale signs that your body may need the extra detox boost and support.
- Thick white/yellow coating on the tongue.
- Painful joint.
- Bad breath
- Bad body odor
- Sugar/food cravings.
So what habits can you form to help give your body the extra support it so needs. Here are 10 tips for you to pick up and add to your daily routine!
- Dry brushing – this stimulates the lymphatic system which is holding the toxins. Do long strokes towards the heart on your arms and legs and circular motions on your stomach.
- Tongue scraper – this is best done in the morning after brushing the teeth as the toxins build up overnight. It is also important to do this before you eat breakfast so you don’t let the built-up bacteria get to the gut.
- Hot water – now, if you’re someone who loves that cold glass of water or ice coffee I hate to be a party pooper but they need to go! Hot water can do wonders for the body. The hot water helps ‘dissolve’ the toxins and the cold water keeps it stuck in.
- Spices – these can be your best friend and can be seen as your medicine cabinet in the kitchen! Think of spices like turmeric (active with black pepper) and black pepper. There is a famous detox tea in Ayurveda called CCF tea – this is a mixture of Coriander, Cumin, and Fennel. (NOTE: If you are pregnant, leave out the fennel as this is known to stimulate the menstrual cycle.)
- Massage – this is great for 2 reasons. It gets the blood flowing and helps you de-stress. Stress plays a big role in most people’s lives and it’s important to wind down.
- Epsom salt bath – this is made from Magnesium and Sulfate which help draw out the toxins.
- Eat your largest meal in the afternoon – this is where our digestive fire is strongest. Along with that, try to keep regular meal times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with 3 hours in between each meal.
- Sleep by 10 pm – this is a hard target for most with the busy schedules of life today but try to get closest to that time as possible, nothing later than midnight though! Just like the body has a sleep cycle it also has a detox cycle which is active from 10 pm – 2 am and if you are resting at this time it is much more effective.
- Eat a rainbow – these colorful foods are high in antioxidants and prevent free radical damage. Foods that are especially beneficial in the detox process include broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, garlic, leek, chives, artichokes, and pomegranate.
- Breathing exercises – this helps remove toxins from the lungs and help relax your mind which is so important for your health so that your body can do its thing in peace!
All this information may seem overwhelming, especially if detoxing is new to you, but remember to be kind to yourself and start slowly. Add one habit a day, a week, or a month whatever is most comfortable for you and your body! Before you know it, it will be in your routine like second nature.
If you are interested in taking your health to the next level this year – join our detox community here and complete a 7-Day Detox scientifically proven to remove toxins.
Happy daily detoxing!
Written by Katja Toms